Saturday, April 11, 2015

Yes, I AM more important

I'm alone in the pharmacy, running back and forth trying to keep up with the pick-ups and drop-offs on this busy Saturday. At our competitor, they do the same number of prescriptions we do and they get three times as many tech hours, but I chose to go with this company. I'm so smart. So on Saturdays the pharmacist is the lone gunman.

I have people patiently waiting in the waiting room to the side of the pharmacy. The wait time is up to 30 minutes because of all the drop-offs. I'm doing my best to keep up but the phone won't stop ringing and it slows me down. An elderly lady rolls up to the counter with script in hand. She's either handicapped and can't walk or just likes to ride around in comfort. (Too many people do it for comfort, by the way, keeping people who really need the store-provided electric cart from having it).

She hands me the Rx. Gabapentin 100mg. Quantity 180. Great. I love counting the big ones. We stock the big bottle so I'm going to have to count it the hard way. I tell her it will be 35 minutes. She looks at me and says "Oh no, I can't wait that long." I tell her, "I'm sorry but I have a lot of people ahead of you." I gesture to the waiting room where she can see three people patiently waiting. "I'll work as fast as I can but they were here before you."  She gets angry... "I need this medicine NOW, and I'm NOT GOING TO WAIT." I can't take the attitude, so I asked her, "Would you like me to tell these people that you're more important?" She defiantly says, "Yes!"

Without missing a beat, I walked two steps over to the waiting room window, raised my voice, and said, "Folks, your wait will be a little longer. This lady here says she is more important than you." All three of the waiters looked at the lady with startled looks.

Ms. Can't Wait rolled away, then returned in 35 minutes. Her Rx was ready.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Officer Cynical said...

I am totally using that the next time I'm in a hurry!

Anonymous said...

good for you. i've used that once or twice....

Anonymous said...

"But there's nobody ahead of me in MY world."

Trauma CCRN with a ❤️ said...

Entitled people make me crazy. She will wait. She has no choice if she wants her stuff. When I have 3 critical patients, their families often think their bathroom or ice water is more important. When they see me coding someone, they have to chill out.

Excal said...

This post is so epic. I wish I could say stuff like this at the pharmacy I'm at.