Monday, August 21, 2017

Clindamycin 2% Vaginal Cream


We receive an e-Script for Clindamycin 2% Vaginal Cream.

"Apply to face and neck at bedtime."

Ok, what?

I call the prescriber to get clarification. I have to leave a message. Later they call to change it to the 1% cream. 

During overlap, I tell Mickey about the e-Script. He tells me this is the second time this office has done this.

I think if you're going to prescribe medication, it might be helpful to know what you're doing.

Just a thought. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, it's ok to put 1 percent vaginal cream on your face and neck, but not 2? What percentage facial moisturizer is ok for a vagina?

Kim S. said...

Hi Crazy,
I'm a pharmacist in my 40s seriously questioning whether or not I even want to stay in the profession. I'm not in a retail setting but still have to deal with the same type of corporate BS. Your blog keeps me sane (for now) and allows me to laugh so thank you!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Maybe she has a serious turkey neck with crazy skin folds? i just grossed myself out.

Anonymous said...

@anon 0458

It has to do with the applicator needed to get the vaginal cream out of the tube. Would make it exceedingly difficult to use on the face. Plus big cost difference where I work.

Anonymous said...

My guess is that the prescriber was treating a patient for a staph skin infection and topical clindamycin works great for MRSA. That said, there are ointment formulations of topical clindamycin available for that purpose.

Anonymous said...

Before getting too wad up over it, I'd wonder what ridiculous insurance rule the prescriber was trying to get around.
I cannot recall what drug it was now but 2-3 years ago there was an ear drop that cost $100000000000000000000000. The equivalent eye drop only cost $30.
So I wrote for the eye drop to be used in the ear.