Monday, January 23, 2017

Time to Reevaluate Evolution

Somehow I get stuck at the drop off window. It's happens. A tech gets trapped at the pick up window, another tech is on the phone with insurance, and I'm the sucker left to field the drop off window.

I get the person's prescription in the computer and because they're new I have to add them in. Then I have to find the prescriber on the computer. This all takes several minutes. Sure enough, a line forms. I tell the person I'm helping it will be 15-20 minutes to fill their prescription. 


By the time I get to the last person in time and get their prescription in the computer I have three people ahead of them and haven't even started to fill the first prescription. I tell the last person in line it will be 45 minutes to an hour.

"An hour? AN HOUR?" she blurts out, twice, as though I wouldn't have heard it the first time.

Now this lady has just seen me take 15 minutes just to get through the drop off line! She saw me take new prescriptions from everyone ahead of her in line! But somehow all this still doesn't compute upstairs... at all!!

I really worry, people. I worry. Are we truly evolving as a species?

I wonder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"An hour? AN HOUR?"

Yes, an hour..... and 15 minutes.

Anonymous said...

I work extra SLOW on those prescriptions where the patient argues with me as to long THEY think it should take to fill it......do you want it done fast or do you want it done right (choose one)

murgatr
Pharm. Tech RDC'06

Anonymous said...

It's not that people are getting more stupid or anything like that. The situation you described required critical thinking. In the US there is a huge lack of critical thinking. It's not something that can be easily taught in a classroom.

This article explains well the issues around critical thinking in the US
http://www.aft.org/sites/default/files/periodicals/Crit_Thinking.pdf