Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Her Attitude Stunned Me!

"Hello, this is Urgent Pain Care Extra Extra. May I help you?"

Me: "I'd like to talk with Nurse Practioner Oxynow regarding a prescription she wrote today."

"Please hold."

<five minutes pass>

"Hello, this is Urgent Pain Care Extra Extra. May I help you?"

Me: "Yes, I was holding to speak to Nurse Oxynow."

"Please hold."

<three minutes pass>

"Hello?"

"My name is Crazy RxMan with Goofmart Pharmacy. We've been getting prescriptions written by you for a Miss Back Pain for a couple of weeks now."

"Ok."

"Well, you've been writing for seven days supplies on this medication but the patient has been seeing you every three to four days."

"So?"

"So, she's taking more of the medication than prescribed."

"So?"

"The patient tells me you tell her to take two tablets every six hours instead of the way it is written which is one tablet every six hours."

"Yes. So?"

"I don't understand how you don't see the problem here. If you want her to take more of the medication, you need to prescribe it that way. As it is, this will catch the attention of the board of pharmacy if it hasn't already."

"So?"

"So that could mean trouble for both of us. May we change the instructions to two every six hours?"

"Yes."

This is the first time I've encountered such a belligerent prescriber of a controlled substance. I told the patient if the next prescription comes in written the way it was before we won't fill it. But I have no doubt there will be no change on the next prescription. 

Yet another reason to dislike pain management clinics.





1 comment:

TheTracker said...

Had a patient going to one of these clinics and we ran a report on his narcotic scripts -- thousands of pills. Literally a thousand Norco 10s in three months. Hundreds of Dilaudid 4s. Oxycontin, methadone, four hundred Tramadol . . .