Monday, October 7, 2013

What isn't OUR Fault, Anymore?

We filled a new prescription for Xanax way back in March. It was dated 3/8 and we filled it the same day. It had one refill. It was the only prescription we've ever filled for this lady.

On 9/2 the lady requested the remaining refill. When it wasn't picked up, she received two automated phone calls... one at day two, the next at day seven, reminding her to pick up her medication. 

According to her, when she received the phone call, she called the pharmacy and talked to someone and said she would be in the next day (her words) to get the medication and to keep it on the shelf. Whoever talked to her (it wasn't me) told her that would be fine.


On 9/23 (21 days later) she comes into the pharmacy just before closing time. I look in will-call (it's not there) and look on the computer and figure out it has been put back to stock (of course). When I try to reprocess it again, it is now expired because it is now more than six months later.When I try to explain this to the lady, she goes nuts.

"I talked to SOMEONE who told me YOU would keep it on the shelf! Are you ALL LIARS here?"

I try to explain the situation, again... policies, procedures, laws. She doesn't want to hear any of it.

I tell her about ten times that I'm really sorry about what has happened. She says she doesn't want to hear any apologies.

"What would you like me to do for you?" I ask.

"I want to talk to the pharmacy manager..." she looks at my name tag, "CRAZY RXMAN... I want to talk to YOUR pharmacy manager." She's implying that she's going to complain about ME.

"He'll be here tomorrow." I hand him one of Mickey's business cards.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions... people who fail to complete their side of the transaction (she told someone "I'll get it tomorrow") yet expect everything to run smoothly when they get to the pharmacy.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people that get mad when we follow policy, procedure, and the LAW even when it interferes with them getting what they want. Apparently they're above the law all the time and we're just supposed to give in with whatever they want whenever they want.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who threaten to complain to management thinking this is going to get them what they want whenever they want.

I'm constantly amazed.

1 comment:

Jono said...

Your amazement will grow exponentially each year until your chin drags on the floor. I have already started believing in Devolution.