Saturday, July 21, 2018

It's My "Water Pill"

Friday, 7pm...


"I have a new prescription for my water pill," she said. 

She hands me this:


"This isn't a diuretic. It's probably for an order for a lab. A Metabolic Panel for Lipids? Your cholesterol?" I ask.

"NO! It's my water pill!" she shoots back.

"I'm not familiar with a diuretic called ILP CMP. And it doesn't have a quantity."

"Yes it does! It has a number right there," she retorts.

Yeah, the physician ordered 78.5 tablets of some unknown diuretic.

I'm not in the mood for a fight. I tell her I'll have to verify it with her physician, knowing that I'm off for the next few days. Lazy RxMan would be proud of me for pushing this one off to the Other Pharmacist.

And as you can imagine, she stormed off in a huff.

I look up the diagnosis code.

"Hyperlipidemia."

I was almost hoping the diagnosis code was "ILP -- Inability to Listen to the Pharmacist." Then it would all make more sense.

No comments: