Monday, September 30, 2013

BREAKING BAD the HOME Version

When I was young, one day my father came home from the Flea Market with a vintage chemistry set. It was very old but appeared to have all the original contents... beakers, test tubes, a bunson burner, all kinds of chemicals... but the ONE thing it lacked was an instruction manual.

From my memory it looked a lot like these photos:




The ONE thing my new (old) chemistry set lacked was an instruction manual. It would have been nice to have one of these to go with it:


So I was left to experiment on my own. Within an hour I had the entire kitchen table ablaze as I experimented by heating up various chemicals in the bottles to see what would happen.


So... my message to you out there, FATHERS... if you're going to get your kids a chemistry set, please, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure it comes with an instruction manual. 

Fortunately, I was able to get the fire out without anything getting too damaged... and this was probably where my first interest in chemistry started... followed by an interest in pharmacy.

Click below for cool photos of:




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mine had a strip of magnesium in one of the little bottles. I almost blinded the entire family when I lit that on fire.

Classof65 said...

Please post your opinion on the NSA.

Crazy RxMan said...

I believe that the NSA, the Nebraska Soybean Association, has a great mission to improve competitiveness and profitability of the Nebraska Soybean Producers.

Knot Telling said...

You must be a youngster. It is very strange to see a chemistry set that looks like the one I had when I was a child called "vintage"!