Saturday, February 10, 2018

Fun with my Son at the DMV

Well just shoot me.

Last week my 16 year old informed me it was time to take the driving test to get his drivers license.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "It doesn't seem like it's been six months since you got your permit," I say.

"It's time," he says.

So we went to the DMV, only to find out you need to make an appointment online and print a barcode for use at the DMV.

So after getting him out of school early and letting him drive around to get used to my car again, we get down to the DMV... where the barcode we had to print at home didn't do much. We still had to wait 30 minutes to get to the head of the line.

During that 30 minutes I amused myself with the wonder of the DMV, for it is absolutely like the movie Zootopia. It's like watching real life in slow motion... only slowed down to barely above a crawl.

At last they call my son's name. We step forward. Now bear in mind we had to go online to put in all of his information, including WHY we were there today and his current permit information. We printed the ever so important barcode way ahead of time. 

The sloth at the DMV scanned the precious barcode. I get excited thinking how this will all be over soon enough. My son is nervous, though. He had already made several blunders during our TWO HOUR practice run.

The sloth turns to us...



"It hasn't been six months since you obtained the permit. You'll have to come back on or after February 28th."

Now you would think all that barcode-preparing nonsense online might have checked the dates ahead of time for us.

No.

And of course my son looks at me like it's my fault.

Shoot me. Just shoot me.

1 comment:

Jade said...

Oh. Bummer.