Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Three minutes is all you get

I'm on the phone with Miss Loosey. She's asking me about something she's convinced has given her cancer. She doesn't have cancer but thinks everything is giving her cancer, so she calls ME to argue with me about it.

This is getting old real fast.

So anyway, I'm on the phone, desperately trying to tell Miss Loosey that she doesn't have cancer and she'll be all right. It's Saturday and I'm alone in the pharmacy.

I see Norma step up to the drop off window. It's on the other side of the pharmacy so I make eye contact and tell her I'll be with her in a moment.

Miss Loosey won't stop with her diatribe. Norma is getting impatient. I tell Miss Loosey I need to help someone else. Miss Loosey keeps on yapping. 

And then there she goes... Norma becomes Stormin' Norma and bolts off, fed up with the poor service from yours truly. 

Three minutes has passed.

So if you're playing the home game, remember: THREE minutes is all you have before the customer becomes completely fed up and storms off. Set your timers for three minutes, folks. That's all you get.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, put the phone down and do what needs doing. Then just pick back up and say the occasional "uh-huh", "I see", and "you could be right" at various intervals. They'll never know. Trust me, I do it all the time!

The Pharmacy Island said...

Agree

Don said...

Just tell her she should discuss her perceived medical problem with her doctor and get off the phone.

Then you'd have more time to concentrate on your impatient, ACTUAL customers, rather than the time-wasters.

A problem shared, is a problem halved!