Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Right Away!

A patient comes in to pick up his medication. He's on Medicaid, so we don't have to deal with a co-pay. He wouldn't have the money anyway since he spent it on the Starbucks in his hand.

I ask him to sign out the medication. Simple enough, right? No. He's opening his bottle of meds and takes a tablet from each bottle and right there at the counter swallows them with his delicious Starbucks beverage.

"My doctor said I should start them right away," he says.

He signs the signature capture device which appears to be working today. Yay! Today I get to be a pharmacist instead of an unpaid IT guy that fixes the run down technology.

"I'm pretty sure he didn't mean you have to take them immediately," I say.

He looked at me like I'm the one with the problem.

Seriously, patients out there... when your doctor says start your medication right away, you can wait until you get home. I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my - you filled my husbands script! He waits until he gets into the car but still...

Anonymous said...

These are the same idiots that rush straight to the pharmacy when the nurse or secretary at the office tells them that "it'll be ready by the time you get there."

When 9 times out of 10, the doc hasn't even sent them yet.

"But the doctor said it'll be ready NOW!"

sigh