Monday, June 3, 2013

The Shaker

Man, early 60s, extremely skinny, comes to the pharmacy DROP OFF window. He's dressed in a light tee shirt and 1970s shorts. He's shaking, a lot. He asks me what he can take for the shaking. I ask him WHY he's shaking and after a few questions and answers he complains of a fever. I tell him that the fever might be causing the shaking and that he should seek medical attention because a fever usually means infection too. I recommend some of our OTC antipyretics. He leaves.


TWO WEEKS later... same man, identical outfit, STILL SHAKING, appears at the pharmacy DROP OFF window again. He asks me the SAME question AGAIN. I'm wondering if this is some strange deja vu or if I'm dreaming or what's going on.

I ask him, "Didn't we have this conversation last week?"

"Yes," he replies. So I ask him, "What did the doctor say about your condition?"

"I didn't go to the doctor." 

I stare at him for a moment. I'm thinking: DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH PHARMACISTS HATE IT WHEN YOU DON'T LISTEN TO US? DO YOU?

Apparently he didn't have time to change his outfit either, so I give him the exact same counsel as two weeks ago. He acts like this is new advice and disappears.

If he's back in two weeks, I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell him to try some booze. Helps with essential tremor.